Investing responsibly, for a better world
You want the best possible retirement outcome for yourself, but you don’t want it to cost the Earth. We want that too. As a Mercer Super customer you can rest assured your money is invested responsibly, working to create a world you want to live in.
We invest your super responsibly by applying Environmental, Social and Governance principles to each investment decision we make. This “ESG” analysis might include environmental factors like a company’s energy consumption and any plans it has to increase reliance on renewable forms of energy, social concerns like child labour and workplace safety and governance issues such as a company’s commitment to transparency and shareholder rights.
We do this, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because we believe companies that take ESG issues seriously are more likely to enjoy strong, sustainable financial returns over time.
We invest your super responsibly by:
· applying ESG factors together with financial metrics to investment decisions
· advocating for and investing in solutions to the world’s sustainability challenges
· engaging directly with the companies we invest in on your behalf
· excluding companies involved in the manufacture of tobacco or controversial weapons
· monitoring your investments to ensure they’re meeting responsible investing and financial performance targets
Take it to the next level with our socially responsible options
You may want to invest according to an even wider set of ethical criteria. In that case, there are seven Socially Responsible Investment options you can choose from. These options have a higher proportion of sustainability-themed assets and exclude companies involved in alcohol production, carbon intensive fossil fuels, gambling and pornography. The list of exclusions varies for each investment option.
Want to know more?
To find out more about how Mercer is leading the way in responsible investing, read:
- Sustainable Investment Policy
- Investing in a Time of Climate Change
- Australian Responsible Investment Benchmark Report, 2019